Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Afterschool goes to Brandeis

I was sorry to learn the the Halloween party at Emanuel was cancelled because of Superstorm Sandy. I was trying to think of something nice to do for the children to make up for it. So I invited them over to Brandeis the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. We had a small meal of grilled cheese, an apple, hot apple cider, hot chocolate, and cupcakes. The kids seemed to have a great time.

Sr. Joanne was very happy for them to see the Brandeis campus, and add another college to the list of places they have been. It's never to early to put the college bug in a young scholar's ear, right?

I enjoyed meeting the children I did not know and catching up with my former campers. They are a bright and cheerful group, and well behaved to boot. It was also nice to see my old boss, Mrs. Grayson along with Sr. Joanne and Lorraine "Ma" Smith. Before the children had to leave we all said one thing we were thankful for. It was a nice time of fellowship in the Thanksgiving Spirit.


Credit where credit is due...
I want to thank my friends Mehraj, Dan, Ari, and Ross for the use of their apartment. I would have hosted the children in my own room, but I live in a dorm and have only a single person bedroom with not nearly enough space for 13 pleople. I also want to thank my friend Deepti who helped me prepare food, clean the apartment before the children arrived, and helped clean up after they left. It is because of them that we were able to have such a nice time.

-Benjamin

No comments:

Post a Comment